From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT somehow: experiences around linode
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 11:49:34
1 On 18:00, Sun, Nov 30, 2014 Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2
3 Am 30.11.2014 um 11:57 schrieb J. Roeleveld:
4
5 > No, pv-grub is run inside the context of the host, using a kernel image
6 inside the VM.
7
8 ... which is not in /boot as far as I see.
9 So if I want to add kernel-boot-time-options I have to install my own
10 kernel plus the entry in menu.lst, correct?
11
12 Thanks!
15 Correct.
16
17 pv-grub is a script in dom0 that will attempt to read the menu.lst in /boot
18 of the VM, and based on that file, initialize a domU with the referred
19 kernel (residing in /boot), passing all boot time options to the kernel.
23 It performs magic tricks to read the /boot proper, because / might be on a
24 different partition or even different virtual disk, but 99% of the time it
25 works automagically.
26
27 It's the 1% that you should be scared of :-)
28
29 Rgds,