From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choosing between system profiles: hardened and desktop for desktop installation.
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 05:23:29
1 On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 4:12 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 04 Jul 2017 05:20:41 Ian Bloss wrote:
3 >> You should use the hardened profile with the harden sources. On terms with
4 >> security you could compile a hardened kernel but you sacrifice ease of
5 >> use by having to manage pax and if you choose an RBAC system like SElinux
6 >> or grsecuritys adds more burden.
7 >>
8 >> Security isn't a product, so I would recommend sticking with regular
9 >> profile with stable packages, and be mindful of what you have opened up to
10 >> the internet. I would also recommend just reading up on linux security in
11 >> general to understand what you're trying to make yourself more secure to.
12 >
13 > I second that last point. I looked into hardened Gentoo some years ago and
14 > came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth all the extra trouble. My
15 > impression (though I could easily be wrong) is that hardening is intended
16 > more for protection against local threats, like someone else sitting in your
17 > seat, than anything coming in over the wires.
20 The majority of the hardening is applied to kernel structures that
21 most people never interact with and don't know exist. The changes are
22 supposed to make it harder to glean information about the inner
23 workings of the kernel, as many exploits require rather intimate
24 knowledge about what the kernel is doing and when.
25
26 There were some more noticeable parts that turned certain parts of
27 /sys and /proc off, but you could either whitelist or blacklist a
28 certain group. This is actually one of the more novel additions, as
29 both places provide a lot of information that is useful for attacking
30 a system.[1] Related changes also made things like chroot jails work
31 as intended and prevent data from leaking into or out of them.
32
33 The additions that do things like prevent USB devices not plugged in
34 since boot as working are mainly intended for server environments,
35 where you don't want technicians or janitors to be able to attack your
36 servers by exploiting faulty USB drivers. This also helps prevent
37 individuals with always-on workstations to some extent, but if that is
38 what you are afraid of you should carry your trusted computer on your
39 person at all times.
40
41 [1] Depending on what is exposed in /proc any process running as a
42 user can make arbitrary changes to any other process running as that
43 user, so by compromising e.g. a web browser you have effectively
44 become that user. It's worth noting similar functionality is also
45 available via ptrace (the syscall that implements most debugging
46 functions).
47