From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 10:56:33
1 On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Nuno Magalhães <nunomagalhaes@××××××.pt> wrote:
2 >
3 > Another approach is ZFS with RAID-Z or similar. I don't know how/if
4 > ZFS splits data among the drives, but i assume it's wise enough to do
5 > so in a way similar to a RAID+LVM combo.
6 >...
7 >
8 > I don't know about btrfs, seems like it's still in a testing-phase so
9 > i'm not touching it yet.
10
11 My understanding is that both zfs and btrfs on linux are fairly
12 experimental. The codebase for zfs is much more mature in general,
13 though its integration on Linux is recent. The codebase for btrfs
14 changes rapidly, with quite a few regressions. I've never
15 irrecoverably lost data on btrfs, but it wouldn't be my first choice
16 for a production environment unless I basically did my own QC on the
17 kernel. However, all my important data is on btrfs nonetheless (with
18 a full backup to ext4 daily right now).
21 Rich