From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : mouse trouble : solved by accident
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 20:08:10
1 No progress yesterday. Today, I carefully checked the Kernel .config
2 & installed 3.4.9 , in case there was something new in 3.5.3 :
3 I have 3.4.0 in this machine, where the mouse works.
4 Then I started looking a Udev in this machine to see what mb missing there.
5 Back in the new machine, I was preparing to remerge -evdev- etc
6 & casually checked /dev/input : mouse0 was there !
7 I logged in as user, 'startx' & the mouse worked in Fluxbox !
8 -- Xorg.log had found a Logitech mouse at /dev/input/event3 using evdev.
9 Well, perhaps it was some setting which took effect after the reboot.
10
11 Well, no, it wasn't. When I had switched off & was replugging connections,
12 I found that I'd plugged the mouse into a different USB slot :
13 the previous one -- similar to the one in this machine -- was 2.0/1.1 ,
14 the new one which works is 3.0/2.0 . NB Mageia + SystemRescue both
15 find the mouse in the former place, but my new Gentoo only in the latter.
16 The new mobo is a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ; this one is an ASUS P5G41T-M .
17
18 Further comments are very welcome.
22 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
23 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
24 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca