From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] filesystems
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:03:23
1 On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 12:07 +0100, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Am Montag, 24. November 2008 11:30:25 schrieb William Kenworthy:
3 >
4 > > By transient storage I mean that the data is duplicated across across
5 > > physical storage spaces so that if a machine goes down, the data is
6 > > still available.
7 >
8 > OK, thanks.
9 >
10 > > I thought Andrews FS did that, but didnt see when
11 > > looking at it yesterday.
12 >
13 > Yes, (Open-)AFS indeed does this. However, this replication is read-only. This
14 > means you can read the data as long as at least one replica is available and
15 > write the data as long as the original (the read-write) volume is available.
16 > There are also some other things to keep in mind:
17 >
18 > * AFS' primary tool for access control are its access control lists (ACL), but
19 > those are not posix, but AFS ACLs and they apply at the directory (not file)
20 > level. However, that's usually sufficient, because one can work with subdirs
21 > and symbolic links to implement more restrictive access for some files in the
22 > same directory.
23 >
24 > * ACLs can also contain host names.
25 >
26 > * If a volume is replicated, the client always prefers the read-only path
27 > (read-write volumes are usually accessed via /afs/.mycell.mydomain, while
28 > read-only volumes (if they exist) are accessed via /afs/mycell.mydomain). So
29 > if you want to modify a file you must explicitely open it via the rw-path.
30 >
31 > * Replication doesn't happen automatically, needs an explicit command.
32 >
33 > * Support for backup volumes is also there (comes with its own backup system).
34 >
35 > * Can move volumes to different servers while online.
36 >
37 > * Data is cached on the client.
38 >
39 > * You'll need Kerberos 5.
40 >
41 > If you have further questions, feel free to ask.
42 >
43 > Bye...
44 >
45 > Dirk
48 Discovered this:
49
50 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_systems#Distributed_file_systems
51
52 Thats going to keep me busy for awhile!
53
54 BillK
58 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
59 Home in Perth!