From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something started muting the sound
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 14:38:46
1 On Saturday 12 Aug 2017 20:49:48 Robin Atwood wrote:
2 > I have a Thinkpad T410 where, after I installed Gentoo on it, everything
3 > "just worked (TM)". The sound is via the bog-standard Intel chips on the
4 > mobo and uses the hda_intel drivers. I didn't use the TP for a long time,
5 > just periodically updating Gentoo, but when I eventually did try to use it
6 > the sound was muted. This means I shut down the X server to remove
7 > complications from the desktop and from the console aplay doesn't produce
8 > any sound. Everything looks normal, driver modules loaded, alsamixer shows
9 > the usual output, channels all active. I booted to a windows partition and
10 > the sound works, so the hardware is OK. The very weird thing is if I put
11 > the TP to sleep with acpitool and wake it up again, the sound works for
12 > about 60 seconds and then dies. There is nothing in the message log at all
13 > when this happens. I upgraded the kernel but that didn't help.
14 >
15 > This problem has been dragging on for some years and I am contemplating a
16 > complete re-install from scratch. But before I do that does anyone have any
17 > idea what I could try?
18 >
19 > TIA
20 > Robin
21
22 Which device does alsamixer or pulseaudio show as being active? I found on
23 some PCs that HDMI is now set as the default audio device and I had to change
24 the configuration to make analogue sound devices active again.
25 --
26 Regards,
27 Mick