From: Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] File timestamps got confused...why?
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 02:02:43
1 On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 10:02:18 Dan Oriani wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 10:04:36PM +0100, Stroller wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 14 July 2014, at 6:54 pm, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > > I am running Gentoo Linux, which I update on a ~daily basis.
5 > > > ...
6 > > > solfire:/home/user>fstat smartlog.txt
7 > >
8 > > What package provides `fstat`, please?
9 > >
10 > > I don't have it installed on this machine, and the first google
11 > > hit for "fstat gentoo" suggests it's a BSD command, unavailable
12 > > on Linux.
13 > >
14 > > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-1853116.html#1853116
15 > >
16 > > Stroller.
17 >
18 > Not to get terribly off topic here, but fstat is, in fact, a C call. I
19 > wonder if this is simply a user-made tool. If you look at code
20 > examples for this call, it's not terribly difficult to use at all.
21 >
22 > Actually, I wonder if the tool this user is using pulls the wrong
23 > field and calls it 'year'.
24
25 I don't think it's the wrong field. Most (all?) C time calls use "years since
26 1900" instead of the actual year value, so the 114 return values from the
27 original message look like they are just the raw returned data.
28
29 (See 'man time.h' for more information)
30
31 In 1999 or earlier this just gave you the correct 2-digit year value so yes,
32 this does like like a Y2K problem, if not a very serious one.
36 Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
37 Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
38 http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro