From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 18:53:29
1 On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 06:58:15 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > So, Nuno, everything was fine until they started moving things to a
5 > place where it shouldn't be.
6
7 No Dale, that is just flat out wrong.
8
9 There is no such thing as "place where stuff should be". There are only
10 conventions, and like all conventions, rituals, fashions and traditions
11 these are prone to breakage when things move on. Things move on because
12 they become way more complex than the designer of the convention thought
13 they would (or could).
14
15 The truth is simply this (derived from empirical observation):
16
17 Long ago we had established conventions about / and /usr; mostly
18 because the few sysadmins around agreed on some things. In those days
19 there was no concept of a packager or maintainer, there was only a
20 sysadmin. This person was a lot like me - he decided and if you didn't
21 like it that was tough. So things stayed as they were for a very long
22 time.
23
24 Thankfully, it is not like that anymore and the distinction between
25 / and /usr is now so blurry there might as well not be a distinction.
26 Which is good as the distinction wasn't exactly a good thing from day
27 1 either - it was useful for terminal servers (only by convention) and
28 let the sysadmin keep his treasured uptime (which only proves he isn't
29 doing kernel maintenance...)
30
31 I'm sorry you bought into the crap about / and /usr that people of my
32 ilk foisted on you, but the time for that is past, and things move on.
33 If there is to be a convention, there can be only one that makes any
34 sense:
35
36 / and /usr are essentially the same, so put your stuff anywhere you
37 want it to be. ironically this no gives you the ultimate in choice, not
38 the false one you had for years. So if your /usr is say 8G, then
39 enlarge / bu that amount, move /usr over and retain all your mount
40 points as the were. Now for the foreseeable future anything you might
41 want to hotplug at launch time stands a very good chance of working as
42 expected.
43
44 You will only need an initrd if you have / on striped RAID or LVM or
45 similar, but that is a boot strap problem not a /usr problem (and you
46 do not have such a setup). Right now you need an initrd anyway to boot
47 such setups.
48
49 The design of separate / and /usr on modern machines IS broken by
50 design. It is fragile and causes problems in the large case. This
51 doesn't mean YOUR system is broken and won't boot, it means it causes
52 unnecessary hassle in the whole ecosystem, and the fix is to change
53 behaviour and layout to something more appropriate to what we have
54 today.
57 Alan McKinnon
58 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com