From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Caching Proxy alternative to Squid?
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 14:46:42
1 -original message-
2 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Caching Proxy alternative to Squid?
3 From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
4 Date: 2011-06-04 15:45
5
6 Am 04.06.2011 02:54, schrieb Stroller:
7 >>
8 >> On 3 June 2011, at 09:59, Pandu Poluan wrote:
9 >>> ...
10 >>> Oookay... something's wrong with the box itself...
11 >>>
12 >>> Even Apache TS failed for the pages where Squid failed o_O
13 >>>
14 >>> Time to rebuild the box, then >.<
15 >>
16 >> emerge -e everything!
19 Far easier to install a box from scratch then swap the IP addresses :)
20
21 >That doesn't help if some config file is bogus.
22
23 Well, my config file has passed the check by the Squid people, so it's certainly not that...
24
25 >However, before doing anything drastic, I'd boot a live-cd or a virtual
26 >machine and check if it works there. Maybe it is a network issue.
27 >
28 >Regards,
29 >Florian Philipp
30
31 Well, wget works. So it's not *strictly* a network issue.
32
33 Yet there might be light at the end of the tunnel... A guy in the Netfilter mailing list had indirectly given me a probable solution; he's been having trouble accessing www.apple.com through the proxy (and actually, www.apple.com is also one of the sites I can't access via my proxy box). He managed to make his proxy work by adding a rule to iptables to allow incoming access to port 80. Despite having no web server listening at that port.
34
35 Doesn't really make sense, I know: why the heck does a target web server need access to *my* port 80, but it worked after all.
36
37 So, come Monday, I'm going to change the policy for incoming port 80 from DROP to REJECT or ACCEPT, and we'll see if there's going to be joy in mudville :)
38
39 Rgds,
40 --
41 Pandu E Poluan