From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Fresh install and problem with net.* init.d script
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 17:43:10
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > Steven J. Long wrote:
3 > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > > You might as well ask why do you need or want any other form of IPC
5 > > > you already have, as that is what dbus is. It's a very small, light
6 > > > daemon, can run system-wide or per-session and has the potential to
7 > > > many of the IPC implementations you already have.
8 > >
9 > > You might as well just use the existing IPC mechanisms too,
10 >
11 > Yes, lets have lots of IPC mechanisms instead of one daemon that handles
12 > IPC for everything.
13
14 It's called an "operating system."
15
16 > While we're at it, let's get rid of syslog and add
17 > file logging code to every program that needs it. cron and at seem a bit
18 > of a waste of space too.
19
20 Strawmen burn so well, don't they?
21
22 I know, let's do all process-scheduling in user-space, I mean who needs preemptive
23 multi-tasking when we have such experts in the early userspace at our disposal.
24 User-land threading works really well too: so long as we worship at the altar of
25 the great God Lennart, blocking and synchronisation can be handled via prayer and
26 the sacrifice of a small, modular utility every sunrise.
29 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)