From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 23:31:01
1 On Thursday 18 August 2011 20:42:30 Michael Mol wrote:
2
3 > Don't forget to check your BIOS. You might also consider enabling
4 > "SCSI-generic (disk)", which would catch ide-emulated disks and put a
5 > scsi interface around them in the kernel.
6
7 But it might well shove a generic driver in before the specific one has a
8 chance. The docs warn of this.
9
10 > Finally, check that it's coming up as "/dev/sda" and not something
11 > like "/dev/sdb".
12
13 Good advice (if I may presume). BIOSes often have weird detection orders:
14 I'm still not sure I've got the right optical drive order on my
15 superannuated workstation.
18 Rgds
19 Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23