From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 01:25:23
1 On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:12:55 -0400
2 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
3
4 > I had a bad drive, and I tried to use pvmove, but it stopped when it
5 > got an error and would not tell me the file it had trouble with nor
6 > would it move any data past that point -- is there a better way to
7 > recover such data? I simply used the backup to get my data back,
8 > rather than lvm.
9
10 You can use an (expensive) data recovery expert.
11
12 What you ran into is a failing drive. You couldn't get the data off
13 because the drive didn't work, and that has nothing to do with LVM
14 whatsoever.
15
16 LVM is not a data security tool.
17 LVM is not a backup tool.
18 LVM does not cover your ass.
19
20 All that LVM does is make it easy to manipulate file system volumes,
21 and to easily make volumes larger than a single disk.
22
23 You still have to take all the same precautions to protect your data
24 that you have done without LVM.
27 Alan McKinnnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com