From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] post build files
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 17:41:14
1 On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 11:20 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm rather new to hacking ebuilds. I have read most every doc
3 > I can find on the subject. One thing I'm looking for is a post-build
4 > document that shows me the path/name of everything built.
5
6 If you literally want a list of everything that was installed by a
7 Gentoo ebuild, then the simplest thing is to run qlist from
8 app-portage/portage-utils.
9
10 Of course, the list of what a package /could/ install can vary based
11 on USE flags or environment.
12
13 If you're trying to learn how ebuilds work, devmanual.gentoo.org is
14 the definitive resource. If you have specific questions feel free to
15 ask, but just about anything you want to know is there. By all means
16 try reading a few ebuilds to get a hang for things as well, but I'd
17 start with simple ones (avoid trying to learn by looking at packages
18 that use complex eclasses). The simplest ebuilds tend to be for
19 simple, standalone programs.
20
21 Keep in mind that ebuilds work by extending functions defined by PMS,
22 so an ebuild can contain fairly little content and yet be fairly
23 functional (the default functions are running for most of the build
24 phases). The idea is if all a package does is run configure ; make ;
25 make install it often needs almost nothing in the ebuild to work.
28 Rich