From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gigabyte mobo latency
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 15:49:31
1 Hello,
4 OK, so I run a minimalist DE (LXDE) and htop to monitor
5 system performance. The mobo has an fx8350 with 8 cores
6 (currently set at 4GHz (unclocked). The system rarily
7 uses over 8/32 gig of it's ram. So the resources are not
8 even close to exhausted. cpus mostly idle.
9
10 I do keep (2) browsers up, with tabs aplenty, but they are not being used
11 very much. It's mostly a myriad of documents to read while I hack at code.
12
13 Often the latency is minimal and the system response (as guaged)
14 from the keyboard is fine (quick). Other times the active terminal
15 session is a pig mostly in the web browser windows.
16
17 So. Is there a make.conf setting or elsewhere to make the
18 terminal session response times, in the browsers (seamonkey, firefox)
19 faster? Something like a ram_disk just for the browsers?
20
21 Note, after I finish up a project, many (browser) terminal sessions
22 are deleted and things are fine again. I'm just asking for a way
23 to ensure more ram/cpu resources are dedicated to the browsers
24 to boost performance, on a dynamic basis (without manual intervention).
25
26 Maybe a ram_disk_cache (dynamic renice to-10 for the active window?) just
27 for the active browser window (the browser window I'm typing in? (background
28 code compilations are not concurrent with
29 the typing latency in the browser windows).....
30
31 ideas?
34 James