From: Xavier Parizet <xav@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What has bash_compleion done to me, and I to it?
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 15:37:14
1 On Tue, 19 May 2009 08:24:57 -0700, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > I used to not know about bash completion, and all was fine. Then I
3 > read a bit about it and gave it a try, and all was still fine, and
4 > pretty handy. But somewhere along the way, bash completion has
5 > screwed up, and now various things which used to work before bash
6 > completion no longer work. Such as
7 >
8 > cd $WWW/<tab>
9 >
10 > where $WWW is one of my shell env vars. It just dings, refuses to
11 > complete. I have to cd $WWW then cd again.
12 >
13 > Or
14 >
15 > vi `ls /usr/port<tab>`
16 >
17 > It won't complete anything inside back quotes.
18
19 Which version of bash-completion do you use ?
20 If it is 0.20081219-r1 or earlier, configuration has change as notified by
21 ELOG summary after updating it, now you need to use eselect to enable
22 bash-completion.
23
24 Try as root : eselect bashcomp enable --global base and eselect bashcomp
25 enable --global gentoo to get some basics...
26 As a normal user, remove the --global switch.
27
28 HTH.
31 Xavier Parizet
32 YaGB : http://gentooist.com