From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ezmlm
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 13:48:42
1 henkg@××××××××××××××.nl wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have been using ezmlm for the past few yeears to manage some mailing
5 > lists. Now emerge is warning me that these packages are masked for
6 > removal. So what shoud I do next:
7 > - stick with ezmlm as long as it keeps functioning
8 > - uninstall ezeml an reinstall from source
9 > - find a new mailinglist manager that works with qmail (and which one
10 > would you advise?)
11 >
12 > Thanks.
13 >
14 > Kind regards, Henk.
18 This package is masked for removal because it's unmaintained. That means
19 upstream aren't releasing updates or working on the code in any way. You
20 need to consider that this introduces problems with the software working
21 with newer versions of its dependencies and the potential security
22 issues. (No matter how great a code djb thinks he is)
23
24 Just because a package "keeps functioning", doesn't mean it's safe to
25 keep. You have to consider security issues, bugs, etc.
26
27 Uninstalling it and installing it from source is plain silly. Overlays
28 mean you can move the package to your own overlay and maintain it there
29 under the package manager. Why on earth would you choose to install
30 manually when you can use the package manager?
31
32 You might also want to look at ezmlm-idx, which appears to be an at
33 least somewhat active project that has maintained (a patch set for) ezmlm.
34
35 My recommendation would be to find an actively maintained replacement
36 (and for qmail too, while you're at it)
39 AllenJB