From: Jure Varlec <exzombie@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Please Help: Major problems with Modular X
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 08:25:29
1 On Saturday 23 September 2006 09:58, Chris Walters wrote:
2 > Hello everyone,
3 >
4 > I realize that I just posted on this subject, but since all versions of
5 > Xorg, except for modular X have been hard masked, I need some help or
6 > advice - preferably from someone who has had this problem and solved it.
7 >
8 > My configuration: Athlon 1 Ghz, 512 MB, and for video an ATI Radeon
9 > 9550SE (identified by the kernel probe as a Radeon 9600 AS.
10 >
11 > This all works fine under monolithic Xorg (6.8.2). However, when I have
12 > tried to switch to modular Xorg, I can't get a screen. I have tried
13 > both the proprietary driver, which is supposed to support my card (the
14 > kernel won't load it), and the radeon driver.
15 >
16 > For setup, I have used every setup utility available, and even tried to
17 > set up my xorg.conf file myself. In most cases, it finds all the modes
18 > supported by my card when I try it out, but it errors out with a couple
19 > of errors: 1. Insufficient memory for the requested window, and 2.
20 > Screens found, but none have a usable configuration.
21 >
22 > For some reason, modular Xorg is not allocating enough memory for a
23 > screen and I can't find a way to fix this.
24 >
25 > Regards,
26 > Chris
29 Chris,
30 Unless I missed your mail, as tends to happen to me on this list, you didn't
31 respond to my earlier suggestion, nor did you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
32 as Richard requested. I don't see why a new thread is necessary.
33
34 Regards,
35 Jure