From: Willie Matthews <matthews.willie@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I am tired of this one.
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 17:30:00
1 On 08/03/12 09:35, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Willie Matthews
3 > <matthews.willie@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > <SNIP>
5 >> I am pretty sure it is the hardware failing. I just booted from a disk using
6 >> the nouveau drivers and had the exact same problem.
7 >>
8 >> Thanks everyone for your help!
9 >>
10 > Before you throw the machine out can you completely remove the 8400
11 > from the box and look at whether the lock-up problems continue? I'm
12 > still suspicious of this CUDA/non-CUDA mixture.
13 >
14 > Also, once you get everything backed up (assuming the machine is
15 > failing you need to do that, right? ) ;-) then you might consider
16 > doing a stable non-~amd64 reinstall and looking at this problem again
17 > to see if it continues to exist. It could easily be something not well
18 > tested in a new release.
19 >
20 > Good luck with whatever path you take.
21 >
22 > Cheers,
23 > Mark
24 >
25 It is no way in the world I am going to toss this computer. It may be an
26 oldie but she is still a goodie even without the vidoe card.
27
28 It is the 8400 GS that is causing the lock up. Installed another OS late
29 last night while everyone was sleeping and still had the problem. I have
30 always used that card in this machine. Never had a problem with using it
31 with the 6150 in it.
35 Willie Matthews
36 matthews.willie@×××××.com