From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] old lappy fix
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 20:17:27
1 hello,
2
3 Over the years lots of folks have wondered about how to fix and old laptop
4 to work with gentoo again, cost effectively. There seems to be (2) problems
5 in the majority.
8 1. Which environment to set up for minimal old hardware:: That discussion
9 can continue, but I like lxqt or lxde. Others should chime in, as I hope to
10 create a howto or wiki page after some input.
13 2. The other (most common) issue that I think I have solved, is how to
14 replace those old dead ide hard drives:: SYBA SD-CF-IDE-DI IDE to Compact
15 Flash Adapter ( Direct Insertion Mode ) can be had for less that $5 USD.
16 Combined with a 16Gb Compact flash card less that $20 usd and it should just
17 slide right into the old 2.5" ide HD container slot and plug right in. You
18 can up-size if you need to, but prices for the CF go crazy after 16Gb. There
19 are many form factors for the syba card, so make sure you try
20 the Direct connect one in this pic:: [1]. EXT2 w2orks best as a file system.
23 Comments and physical verification are most welcome, as it fits snugly
24 in (2) old lappies I have tested so far. I intend to also insert tiny pieces
25 of bubble wrap for circuit boards, just to wedge it tightly in place.
26 Very little heat generated with this solution. You can prolly get it down
27 to a 4Gb card, if you are going 'thin client' with the restored lappy.
30 I'm looking for all complimentary info to add to a howto or a wiki page
31 on resurrecting old laptops (hardware and software) centric to gentoo, links
32 are welcome too.
35 James
38 http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_147_150&product_id=612