From: tastytea <tastytea+gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: iptables wiki page questions
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 00:42:14
1 On 2020-08-15 00:22-0000 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On 2020-08-14, tastytea <tastytea+gentoo@××××××××.de> wrote:
5 >
6 > > rc-service runs the same service scripts that are in /etc/init.d/,
7 > > so it's the same. However the manpage of rc-service(8) mentions that
8 > > “Service scripts could be in different places on different
9 > > systems”, so the most compatible way would be to use rc-service.
10 >
11 > Oddly, the two usages are both within one example. It appears that
12 > the author uses "/etc/init.d/iptables" for the "save" command and
13 > "rc-service iptables" for the "start" command.
14
15 In some places “rc-service iptables save”¹ is used, in some places
16 “/etc/init.d/iptables save”². I think it was 2 or more authors with
17 different preferences.
18
19 > Also interesting: the openrc wiki page doesn't mention rc-service at
20 > all and the examples all use "/etc/init.d/<whatever> <command>".
21 > [That's what I tend to use because it allows tab-completion.]
22
23 Gentoo installs completions for rc-service for both Zsh and Bash.
24
25 ¹ <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Iptables#First_run>
26 ² <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Iptables#Generating_firewall_rules>