From: Miles Malone <m.malone@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Package management, depclean and new installs
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 06:13:28
1 I would strongly, STRONGLY discourage you from creating your own meta
2 package. There are very few meta packages in the tree (in the scheme
3 of things) for very good reasons, they take one hell of a lot of
4 maintenance. They're really only there for things like kde, where you
5 might just want a bare bones kde environment, or you might be
6 expecting the full-fat desktop environment with all the side packages
7 you'd get if you were using a distro that gave you no option out of
8 the box.
9
10 If you really want to group a bunch of packages into a set that gets
11 emerged with one command, I would do exactly that: create a custom
12 set. Similar to @world, @system, @security, etc. You can do that
13 quite easily, see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_sets .
14
15 But really there's not a lot of use cases for it, mostly if you use a
16 package and it's not just a dep of something (or several things) you
17 should just have it in your world file, *for most people's use cases*.
18 Going through your world file and cleaning out cruft is a part of
19 regular gentoo maintenance, should be done at a minimum annually imo.
20 Much like cleaning out distfiles and whatnot (see eclean, from
21 app-portage/gentoolkit. And, indeed, pretty much every other useful
22 utility in gentoolkit. Also flaggie for use-flag management.)
23