From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Blacklist one of the pool's rsync server?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 02:21:00
1 On 2018-02-28, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> Is there any way for me to "blacklist" a pool rsync server so that
4 >> emerge --sync won't try to use it?
5 >>
6 >> I'm using the sync-url rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage, but
7 >> one of the pool's servers is barely usable for me. I don't know if
8 >> it's a server problem or if traffic between my and that server is
9 >> routed through a Mars orbiter. When any other server is chosen, the
10 >> file list scrolls by faster than you can read it. Via the Mars
11 >> orbibiter the list ticks by about one file every 5-10 seconds. It
12 >> will usually finish (eventually), but sometimes hangs and times out.
13 >> It's been like for at least a year or two.
14 >>
15 >> [FWIW, I'm uable to ping the server, and tracroute is unable to produce
16 >> a route to it. However, I can telnet to the rsync port on that host
17 >> and it connects.]
18 >>
19 >> When I see that server has been selected, I usually just hit Ctrl-C
20 >> and try again.
21 >>
22 >> Is there any way to configure portage to not use that server?
23 >
24 > Is it possible to add it to your hosts file and point it to local IP?
25
26 No. Because the name is rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage.
27
28 > Obviously, if it is a numbered IP then this likely won't work.
29
30 I could, however, set up a static route for the IP in question and
31 point it to something that isn't listening on the rsync port. That
32 won't make it avoid trying to use that server, but it would make it
33 fail immediately rather than let it crawl along along until it hangs
34 or I hit Ctrl-C. :)
37 Grant