From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any real need to switch python targets back and forth every month?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 01:50:56
1 On 26/07/18 21:01, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 13:44:28 +0300, Grand Duet wrote:
3 >
4 >> Before switching python_targets for the first time, you could use your
5 >> news system to inform Gentoo users that
6 >> 1) you are switching python_targets
7 > Like the one on May 22nd titled "Python 3.6 to become the default target"?
8 >
9 >> 2) it may be "a bit premature",
10 > That sort of information is only known with hindsight or a time machine.
11 >
12 >> and so, those who really want to have a stable Gentoo system should
13 >> 1) do such and such changes to their config files and
14 > Like in the aforementioned news item?
15 >
16 > FWIW I had no problem with the profile change and locked my system at 3.6
17 > to save switching back when the profile did so.
20 Yes there was the original news item - but nothing about the problems
21 this caused, and the back and forwarding which is causing me grief.  It
22 is only switching targets, but when you have problems and decide to
23 remove 3.6 and recompile, then having to go through it all again
24 without  proper information it has impact.  A news item is supposed to
25 give information ... I am not criticising the changes itself (sh..
26 happens), but being left in the dark about it.
27
28 BillK