From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I update *every* ebuild?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 07:22:27
1 On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:48:03 +0100
2 Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi Gentoo-users,
5 > I always thought the right way to update everything was:
6 >
7 > emerge --update --deep --newuse world
8 > emerge --update --deep --newuse system
9 >
10 > When I try the above mentioned, nothing to update is found.
11 > Yet when I try i.e. "emerge --pretend nasm", I see:
12 >
13 > [ebuild U ] dev-lang/nasm-2.10.05 [2.10.01]
14 >
15 > So there is apparently update for dev-lang/nasm, yet it was
16 > not pulled when I tried to update the "world" or "system".
17 > And who knows for how many other ebuilds there is update
18 > available...
19 >
20 > So how can I update really *every* ebuild?
23 What are your bdep settings in make.conf? (see man emerge for more info
24 on bdeps)
25
26 nasm is unlikely to be a run-time depend for anything, considering
27 what it does it's more likely to be a build depend. If nothing in world
28 that uses nasm to build itslef is to be built, then nasm won't be
29 upgraded; it will be left as-is until it really does need to be
30 rebuilt.
31
32 You should learn to trust portage, it knows more about your system than
33 you do. "really update every package" sounds a lot more like pedantic
34 OCD insistence that it all be done always rather than a sensible
35 decision :-) And before anyone rips me a new one for being
36 unbelievably rude to list users again, I have the same issue myself. So
37 I got really good at spotting it and recognizing why it is not really a
38 good thing.
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com