From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: dvd playing problems
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 17:34:49
1 On 2010-05-11, meino.cramer@×××.de <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > when playing dvds the movie gets stopped from time to time
4 > and restarts itsself after a short oeriod of idle some frames
5 > after the position where it halted.
6
7 > hda: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
8 > hda: command error: error=0x50 { LastFailedSense=0x05 }
9 > hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xa0
10 > end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 13053192
11 > Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 3263298
12 ...
13
14 > Does this mean my drive is bad? The dvd itsself does not have any
15 > visible scratches or something like that...
16
17 It's either the drive or the disk.
18
19 > Or is it possible, that something below the application layer
20 > and above the hardware layer has problems?
21
22 I doubt it, but it depends on what you mean by "the hardware layer".
23
24 The drive is reporting errors when it is trying to read the disk. I
25 suppose that could be due to buggy firmware in the optical drive
26 (which technically isn't a hardware failure).
29 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I once decorated my
30 at apartment entirely in ten
31 gmail.com foot salad forks!!