From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Need coaching with emerge failure logs (Understanting the problem)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 14:45:29
1 Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> writes:
2
3 > On 170225-09:19-0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> Setup: VBox vm running gentoo(amd64) guest on a win-10 (64bit) host
5 >> Hardware: HP xw8600 - 2x Xeon CPU X5450 @ 3.00GHz - 32 GB ram
6 >>
7 > [ some cca. 80k text cut here ]
8 >
9 > Go for the guides, in which you will find that sending 5.5M log in an
10 > email is plain wrong.
11
12 Pretty dim not to have thought of that... thanks.
13
14 So do you recommend posting something like that online? I wasn't
15 kidding when I said I could not determine what the log might mean,
16
17 Do you think there is really any chance a prospective helpful reader
18 will follow a hyperlink to these massive logs and actually try to see
19 what is going on?
20
21 I've decided to first work out a regex that will allow me to clean the
22 darn things up... get all those escape sequences out and then post
23 them on my web pages.
24
25 > Read e.g. how to post bugs on Bugzilla. shouldn't be hard to find.
26
27 Now, I've often wondered about the question of when to go to the bug
28 lists.
29
30 At my very low skill level chances are good that my problem is
31 actually some kind of pilot error. So, I think it makes sense to first
32 try to determine if there is really a bug at all.
33
34 Those folks that work on bugs can't be very tickled to get piles of
35 data that is really about some simple minded pilot error.
36
37 Seems to me, something should go thru the list a bit first before
38 hitting the bug setup... No? Many folks here will know a bug when they
39 see it, I'm not one of them.