From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~amd64] Some possibly (?) helpful hints re the big gnome-3.8 update
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 02:09:25
1 On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:31 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > First and foremost, thank you Canek.
3 >
4 > On Tue, Jul 30 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> I am a gnome-3 user, who wants to continue with gnome-3.
9 >>> [ I described my current state--beginning of wiki ]
10 >>
11 >> Sounds reasonable.
12 >>
13 >>> [ I asked about /etc/mtab and /proc/self/mounts
14 >>
15 >> If you switch to systemd, you will need to make /etc/mtab a symlink to
16 >> /proc/self/mounts.
17 >
18 > Done.
19 >
20 >>> After that comes the big one
21 >>>
22 >>> emerge systemd
23 >>> USE="... systemd ..."
24 >>> emerge --newuse ... [ a change from previous msg ]
25 >>> /etc/init.d/udev restart
26 >>>
27 >>> Can the system be rebooted at this point (I realize init will still not
28 >>> use systemd) or must the entire conversion (including changing init) be
29 >>> completed before the system is bootable? I am hoping it is the former.
30 >>
31 >> If you reboot [now], I don't believe there is any chance your system
32 >> will boot up correctly.
33 >
34 > I see.
35 >
36 >> /etc/init.d/udev is installed by sys-fs/udev; sys-apps/systemd doesn't
37 >> provide anything similar.
38 >
39 > I don't understand. *After* installing systemd (and setting the USE and
40 > executing the emerge --newuse ...), the wiki tells you to
41 > /etc/init.d/udev restart
42 > Emerging systemd unmerges udev so how can I do the restart?
43
44 The wiki is wrong. The script /etc/init.d/udev is part of sys-fs/udev,
45 which you need to uninstall before installing systemd. Perhaps it's
46 CONFIG_PROTECT'd, but anyway sys-fs/udev and sys-apps/systemd install
47 the udev binary in different directories, so the script is basically
48 useless after the switch.
49
50 >> I recommend installing everything necessary (and uninstalling
51 >> everything that is not) before trying the reboot.
52 >
53 > How far do I have to get in the wiki? I am hoping to do smaller chunks
54 > so that if I have to back out a step (using a bootable CD) to restore
55 > "bootability" to the system, it won't take too long.
56
57 I thing you should do it all in one big step. sys-fs/udev and
58 sys-apps/systemd conflict each other pretty badly, and the latter
59 changes the init program; also, several programs can work with OpenRC,
60 or systemd, but not both.
61
62 Doing it in "smaller chunks" seems to me a great recipe to making your
63 system unbootable.
64
65 > In particular do I have to switch init to /usr/lib/systemd/systemd
66 > before I can boot.
67
68 Yeah, I believe you have to.
69
70 > I know you have had systemd installed for a long time. Did you always
71 > have the init= line or were you for a while running openrc with systemd
72 > installed?
73
74 No, I did the switch and almost immediately started to work in the
75 gentoo-systemd-only overlay[1], which I just deprecated. At the very
76 beggining having OpenRC could wreck the whole boot, since some stuff
77 (barely documented at the time) called scripts in /etc/init.d
78 seemingly at random, and at the time OpenRC scripts didn't even
79 consider that the machine was not being booted with OpenRC.
80
81 I do have an old server *running* with systemd and with OpenRC still
82 installed; it's my last machine waiting to switch to the new
83 service-manager virtual.
84
85 >> Also, I would do the whole shebang in a one step, removing all the
86 >> masked packages you did. You can try to boot to multi-user.target
87 >> instead of graphical.target, if you want to test that systemd works
88 >> correctly independently of GNOME.
89 >
90 > I am not so worried about gnome coming up. If the system boots and I
91 > can get the 6 text terminals, I can survive for quite a while with emacs
92 > and gnus.
93
94 GNUS? Damn, that brings back some memories. I stopped using it for
95 reading email in 2002 or 2003, when Evolution become mature enough.
96
97 If you are comfortable with only a console, do the switch from a VT. A
98 lot of stuff will stopping working *during* the transition, and will
99 not become functional again until you reboot.
100
101 Regards.
102 --
103 Canek Peláez Valdés