From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hal and ejected DVD not unmounting
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 20:56:01
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Dale schrieb:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I have ran into this from time to time and it is really irritating to
7 >> say it lightly. When I use my DVD drive and eject the DVD, hal seems to
8 >> not unmount the device. That then causes me to get messages like this
9 >> in /var/log/messages:
12 > [...]
13 >
14 >> Since this happens every few seconds, my messages file can get pretty
15 >> large in a hurry. I have logrotate and plenty of disk space but this is
16 >> still annoying as heck. I can stop it by manually unmounting the drive
17 >> but I sometimes forget to do that.
18 >>
19 >> Can someone tell me how to beat some sense into this thing and make it
20 >> unmount when I am done and the drive is empty? This has happened over
21 >> many different versions of hal so specific versions doesn't seem to
22 >> matter. Just in case:
25 > [...]
26 >
27 > How did you eject the DVD? Did you press the button on the drive, did
28 > you use `eject` or maybe your desktop environment offers you that option
29 > (thunar, nautilus, kde, ...)?
33 I just push the button on the drive. I have always done it that way.
34 At one time the eject thing in the KDE menu wouldn't actually eject. It
35 just sat there blinking at me. :/
36
37 Should I use the menu and not the button?
38
39 Dale
40