From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] set FAN speed
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:43:12
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:14:59 +0300
4 Catalin Trifu <catalin@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5
6 > I am having a very nasty problem. My Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop
7 > (P4 3.06 GHz) runs at very high temperature (77 degrees C) and in the room are
8 > only 20.
9 > [...]
10
11 Hm. And you're sure that the fan *isn't* already at maximum speed?
12
13 > ACPI does not work properly on this machines (it's a known problem).
14
15 You should be using APM then, right? Isn't there a fix available
16 (custom DSDT or a newer ACPI version)? Googling for ["inspiron 5160"
17 acpi] I found this:
18 http://www.swineworld.org/inspiron5160/
19 and it says that ACPI, at least throttling, is working fine.
20
21 > [...]
22 > Does anyone knoe how I could get the FAN up to speed ?
23
24 When using APM, AFAIK that's the BIOS' job.
25
26 This isn't directly an answer to your question, but did you told the
27 kernel (in the APM config section) that it should use IDLE calls?
28
29 -hwh
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list