From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] *draft* for setting up network bridge with systemd (for qemu/kvm)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:49:15
1 Am 29.01.2013 20:33, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2 > On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
3 >> When I debugged my way up to the current draft it was helpful to see
4 >> which line/command failed etc.
5 >
6 > That's my point; you don't need (and I would venture to say, you don't
7 > want) to debug this kind of stuff within systemd; you create your
8 > script, and you run it from the command line:
9 >
10 > $ /usr/local/bin/kvm-bridge start
11 >
12 > And see what is missing or what is failing; you debug it from here.
13
14 Ok, I understand your approach.
15
16 > When you have a working script, you just put it in a simple, concise
17 > systemd unit file, and everything should work (sans stuff like needing
18 > to put absolute paths for the executables, which BTW is easily
19 > solvable by putting PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin in your
20 > /etc/conf.d/network_systemd file).
21
22 Yep, thanks.
23
24 > But, for the last time: if it works, it works. I just think that's not
25 > the philosophy behind systemd; the idea is to find the proper
26 > solution. Using ExecStart= commands to debug when a "service" fails is
27 > as bad as putting echo statements in SysV/OpenRC scripts to see what
28 > is failing, IMO. Don't use the bad practices from SysV/OpenRC in
29 > systemd, I'm just saying.
30 >
31 > Just my opinion. But great to know is working.
32
33 Thanks for sharing ... I quickly followed your suggestions and built
34 another service-file with your solution (you had typos btw -> "brigdge"
35 ;-) ). It works as well and is maybe even slimmer in execution.
36
37 I will just keep both versions around and see where it gets me.
38
39 Thanks, Stefan