From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] User eix-sync permissions problem
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 01:23:17
1 On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 12:28:43AM +0000, Kerin Millar wrote
2 > On 10/02/2014 23:57, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > >
4 > > What's the point, if you still have to run as root (or su or sudo) for
5 > > the emerge update process?
6 >
7 > It's the principle of least privilege. Is there any specific reason for
8 > portage to fork and exec rsync as root? Is rsync sandboxed? Should rsync
9 > have unfettered read/write access to all mounted filesystems? Can it be
10 > guaranteed that rsync hasn't been compromised? Can it be guaranteed that
11 > PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS will contain safe options at all times?
12 >
13 > The answer to all of these questions is "no". Basically, the combination
14 > of usersync and non-root ownership of PORTDIR hardens the process in a
15 > sensible way while conferring no disadvantage.
16
17 If /usr/portage is owned by portage:portage, then wouldn't a user
18 (member of portage) be able to do mischief by tweaking ebuilds? E.g.
19 modify an ebuild to point to a tarball located on a usb stick, at
20 http://127.0.0.1/media/sdc1/my_tarball.tgz. This would allow a local
21 user to supply code that gets built and then installed in /usr/bin, or
22 /sbin, etc.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications