From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to attempt EFI install, which modules to compile?
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 03:33:47
1 German wrote:
2 > Hi people. I am about to try today an EFI gentoo install with sysrecuecd. It is all more or less clear to me in the install docs, however I am not sure how to gather info about my hardware, which modules should be compiled when installing kernel manually. Is there a way to gather this info? What command should be issued to accomplish that? Also, I am sort of reluctant to compile kernel manually. Is this possible to use genkernel to install system in EFI mode or I must to use manual compilation? Thank you for your advice and suggestions.
5 I have no experience with EFI, yet. I think this will help with one
6 part of your post tho. You can use lsmod while booted with sysrescue
7 and get a list of what modules are being used. I've done that before.
8 It helps.
9
10 Another command that can help and may be better. lspci -k. That should
11 look like this snippet:
12
13 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GT216 HDMI Audio Controller
14 (rev a1)
15 Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device 069a
16 Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
17 02:00.0 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Device 3483 (rev 01)
18 Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device 5007
19 Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
20 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
21 RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
22 Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Motherboard
23 Kernel driver in use: r8169
24 04:06.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. Ethernet 100/10
25 MBit (rev 31)
26 Subsystem: ARCHTEK TELECOM Corp Device 0008
27 Kernel driver in use: dmfe
28
29 What you are really looking for is the "Kernel driver in use:" part. If
30 you are making your own kernel, you use that info to find the module to
31 enable, either built in or as a module. I sometimes cheat and use this
32 command:
33
34 lspci -k | grep Kernel
35
36 Make sure that K is upper case OR add the -i option to grep. That
37 command only lists the part I am really interested in and the driver
38 name sometimes tells what it is for anyway. Plus, it's generally best
39 to enable the hardware you got.
40
41 Maybe someone else can come along and shine some light on the rest.
42
43 Dale
44