From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6726@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage alternatives
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 09:54:18
1 > from Michael Vetter:
2
3 > just for fun I am reading about alternatives to portage. So far the most
4 > interesting I found are: paludis and pkgsrc.
5
6 > paludis mostly because it seems to come from some gentoo-like enviroment
7 > and pkgsrc because of the nice thought to have the same pkg files for
8 > multiple OSes.
9
10 > Is anybody of you using one of them and can tell me about pros and cons?
11
12 I've read a bit about paludis, the package manager in Exherbo, forked from Gentoo, but haven't got to try it yet.
13
14 I am familiar with pkgsrc, use only in NetBSD where it is native.
15
16 For FreeBSD, I use the FreeBSD ports, notice that pkgsrc seems to have nothing to compare to portmaster and portupgrade.
17
18 In pkgsrc, you can update all packages with pkg_rolling-replace, but not so easy to update just one package/port and its dependencies.
19
20 pkgsrc seems directed at BSD, where there is a distinction between packages and base system.
21
22 In Linux, I get the impression that everything is a package, including what would be part of a BSD base system and not well-covered in pkgsrc.
23
24 I've fallen behind on following this list, too many emails elsewhere, which is why I'm late in responding here.
25
26 Tom