From: Marc Blumentritt <marc.blumentritt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc upgrade from 3.x to 4.x, when should I run revdep-rebuild?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 07:36:44
1 michael@×××××××××××××.com schrieb:
2 > I'm upgrading my gcc from 3.x to 4.x. I've done the gcc switching, and
3 > now I'm
4 > updating my system.
5 >
6 > The recommended steps are:
7 >
8 > # emerge -eav system
9 > # emerge -eav world
10 >
11 > While emerging my system I received a message suggesting I run
12 > revdep-rebuild:
13 >
14 > warning - be sure to run revdep-rebuild now
15 >
16 > My question is, should I run revdep-rebuild right after emerging the
17 > system,
18 > or should I wait until after I emerge world? My concern was that in
19 > between,
20 > my system is in an unstable intermediate state, and it might be damaged
21 > by a
22 > revdep-rebuild in between.
23
24 Well, you rebuild world, which includes all packages you would rebuild
25 with revdep-rebuild. I would run revdep-rebuild after the rebuild of
26 world, just to be sure. I also recommend to look through the info
27 outputs of every emerge, if you missed something, e.g. I had messages
28 like "rebuild against the new library, than it is save to delete the old
29 one." If you miss this, then you have cruft libs on your system.
30
31 Cheers
32 Marc
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list