From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running out of space on /var partition
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 18:50:34
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 >
3 > I made some screenshots [*] after I started with an empty .kde4 directory
4 > one week ago. They show what is started automatically when I log into KDE,
5 > well, except for the last desktop where I fired up a browser for online
6 > banking.
7 >
8 > Desktop 1: Administration stuff. A Konsole with a root shell and a normal
9 > shell, and another spare one. Some system info and logging plasmoids.
10 >
11 > Desktop 2: Multimedia. Amarok, a folder plasmoid with my images. A Dolphin
12 > with two tabs showing my music and video files, both tabs have two views. A
13 > Konsole window is grouped to the Dolphin window, I use it mainly for
14 > downloading videos with my download script, which is a wrapper for youtube-
15 > dl but does a little more. BTW, I added it to the 'Open with...' menu in
16 > Konqueror, but nowadays I write 'mydl' in this shell and drag the URLs I
17 > want to download from the browser right into the shell.
18 >
19 > Desktop 3: Mail/News/WWW. Kontact, I use the KMail, Akregator and KNode
20 > components mainly. And two grouped Chromium windows with some tabs.
21 >
22 > Desktop 4: Remote. I go here when I administrate remote systems, via ssh in
23 > a Konsole, RDesktop, or NX. The folder views have shortcuts to start
24 > NX/Rdesktop/VPN sessions, or Dophins opening FTP locations and such.
25 >
26 > Desktop 5: Programming. A big Dolphin grouped to a Konsole with a growing
27 > number of tabs. Some folder views for stuff I regularly need. Another
28 > Chromium, showing my Wiki, and more tabs when I need them. When I actually
29 > do something here, I also have some editor windows open.
30 >
31 > Desktop 6: Other. Financial stuff, LibreOffice, and other things that don't
32 > fit into the other desktops.
33 >
34 > All in all, I don't think this is really so much. With KDE uptime, more
35 > things are running, and I often see no need to close them, because might
36 > need them later again. The weird thing is that this has been my attitude for
37 > long, and before KDE4, I had no problems with this, even with less then 4G
38 > of RAM. I was using swap then, but it did not matter much, a little delay
39 > while an application I did not use for a while gets swapped in was okay. But
40 > now, when swapping starts, it seems to happen constantly. As if important
41 > stuff were swapped out, that would be needed again immediately.
42 > With the ati-drivers, this was even worse. When I moved to radeon, it was
43 > much better already.
44 >
45 > Wonko
46 >
47 > [*] http://www.wonkology.org/comp/desktop/2011-07-24/
52 http://www.wonkology.org/comp/desktop/2011-07-24/desktop6.png
53
54 You might want to remove that one. Look closely at the bank screen.
55
56 I'm looking closely. Some things interest me. I'm still learning about
57 KDE4. ;-)
58
59 Dale
60