From: Ralf <ralf+gentoo@×××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gitlab experiences
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 13:19:12
1 Hi James,
2
3 On 07/13/16 14:44, James wrote:
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > So, from what I've read, gitlab is very popular because you can self-host
7 > and the CI capabilities there are built in. As I look at migrating several
8 > several old mechanical ways to manage code inhouse, gitlab does look
9 > appealing. I do see a variety of packages in via remote overlays::
10 >
11 > [1] "cvut" layman/cvut
12 > [2] "dev-zero" layman/dev-zero
13 > [3] "gitlab" layman/gitlab
14 > [4] "maksbotan" layman/maksbotan
15 > [5] "mrueg" layman/mrueg
16 > [6] "rindeal" layman/rindeal
17 > [7] "R_Overlay" layman/R_Overlay
18 > [8] "spike" layman/spike
19 >
20 > and dev-go/go-gitlab-client in portage.
21 >
22 > From the gentoo wiki, it looks like all of the dependencies are already
23 > in portage::
24 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GitLab#Prerequisites.2FDependencies
27 > Has anyone attempted to install a self hosted gitlab on gentoo server(s)?
28 > A small gentoo cluster/container setup? Using a Distributed File System,
29 > like cephfs, orangefs or other DFS?
30 I recommend to deploy gitlab inside a Debian LXC/Docker container as
31 Gitlab guys provide and maintain precompiled .deb packages. You do not
32 want to compile it on your own as it comes with a load of dependencies.
33 And once dependencies change you really might run into trouble with
34 gentoo. Gitlab isn't just a tiny one-click-and-it-runs webservice, it's
35 a whole ecosystem.
36
37 For private use, I deployed my Gitlab inside a LXC container on my
38 Gentoo server box, everything else is really way too much tinkering
39 around. If you have no other problems in your life, just try it out and
40 go for it. :-)
41 >
42 > Any experiences with gitlab are most welcome for comment, good or bad.
43 Yes. Bad. Slow, unreactive, eats tons of resources. Doesn't scale with
44 large repos (except you have unlimited access to hardware resources). A
45 Linux kernel git mirror finally crashed it.
46
47 That's why I decided to switch to Gogs [1], even for business cases.
48 Gogs is implemented in Go, has a pretty active and responsive community
49 and (in my opinion) it is a well-maintained project. Looks and feels
50 like gitlab but is much faster and consumes a minimum of resources. I
51 strongly recommend to use Gogs. Just try it out on their website.
52
53 They also provide a .deb package, that's the reason why I'm running it
54 inside a Debian LXC container as well.
55
56 HTH
57 Ralf
58