From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A confession
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:16:29
1 051220 Martin S wrote:
2 > I must confess. I've been unfaithful For a day.
3 > After thoroughly trashing my system (~x86) for the second time
4 > by uncarefully upgrading I decided to try something less brain taxing.
5 > So I reinstalled with Kubuntu.
6
7 -- details snipped --
8
9 Yes, a short turn with another distro soon reminds how good Gentoo is.
10
11 A couple of weeks ago, I wanted to update the OS in my back-up machine,
12 which had Mandrake 10.0 (early 2004) working adequately when needed
13 & is too slow & infrequently used to install Gentoo.
14
15 The latest Mandrake 2006 CD 1 refused to boot, so I had to make a diskette,
16 then the installer couldn't figure out my 2001 graphics card,
17 then finally when I tried to boot the installed system
18 all I got was a lot of colored lines across the screen.
19
20 "How about Kubuntu?" -- I don't like Gnome, so didn't want Ubuntu -- ,
21 so I got the CD, installed & booted the system. First,
22 I wanted to set up ADSL, but the window fell off the bottom of the screen
23 & I couldn't see the "sysadmin privileges" button hidden down there;
24 when I tried to get sysprivs via CLI, it refused to recognise the password:
25 (K)ubuntu has a mickey-mouse simplification which abolishes root
26 & does everything with the user's own password,
27 but of course the tiny handful of Kubuntu developers have screwed it up.
28
29 The 2001 graphics card has a bug which prevents text showing on screen
30 before X is started, so I couldn't install Slackware.
31
32 Finally, I managed to get Mandrake 2005 = 10.2 from their mirrors
33 & got it installed, tho' I had to use the diskette again to start installing.
34
35 > I'm reinstalling Gentoo now ...
36 > I prefer battling with my own errors rather than someone elses.
37
38 Exactly ! Back up often, try to understand what you're doing, incl ~x86,
39 but if you do wreck your system, the best bet by far is re-installing Gentoo.
40 And let's tell the devs how much we appreciate their donated time.
44 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
45 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
46 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list