From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 04:03:23
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > I think I touched on this a couple of weeks ago but never had time to
3 > dig in. At that time I thought this problem was only on one machine
4 > but now I see it's on every machine I've looked at this morning. Not a
5 > single machine has /dev/cdrom anymore, nor /dev/dvd or any of the
6 > other incantations that have existed forever.
7 >
8 > First, this is udev doing (or not doing) this, correct?
9 >
10 > As shown below hwinfo see the cdrom drive, and there are long existing
11 > udev rules that appear to want to create the devices. These rules have
12 > worked in the past but don't now.
13 >
14 > Are others running Gentoo stable, and in this case udev-171-r9, seeing
15 > this problem?
16 >
17 > Anyone recognize what's wrong with the udev rules below, or does udev
18 > no longer generate these devices at all? I understand that the
19 > 70-persistent-net.rules stuff has been 'removed'. Is this true for CDs
20 > also or have I botched something up on all these machines?
21 >
22 > Thanks in advance and please ask me to post anything else required.
23 > I've gone through the latest Gentoo install docs and don't see that
24 > I'm doing anything other than what they tell me to do but with udev in
25 > such a state of flux I've obviously missed something.
26 >
27 > Thanks,
28 > Mark
29 >
30 > <<<SNIP>>>
33 On my rig for a long time now, I have used the sr0 device. My DVD/CD
34 burning app, k3b, uses it for the CD/DVD drives. It works. From my
35 understanding this switched quite some time ago but can't recall the
36 reasoning behind it.
37
38 I don't have /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore. Everything so far has
39 worked tho. It just uses /dev/sr0 instead.
40
41 Hope that helps.
42
43 Dale
44
48 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!