From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MTA lighter on resource: Exim or Postfix?
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 10:14:31
1 On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 16:20, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Friday 08 April 2011 16:06:51 Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 >> Hello again, list!
4 >>
5 >> I need to deploy an MTA in the Cloud. Now, RAM is at a premium, so
6 >> between Exim and Postfix, which one is lighter on resource?
7 >>
8 >> Thank you for your inputs.
9 >>
10 >> Rgds,
11 >
12 > Without actually testing and seeing which can be best optimized for your usage
13 > pattern?
14 >
15 > I run postfix without problems, but then, I don't have that much of a
16 > restriction on memory so I never really looked into it.
17 >
18 > I think the memory usage also depends on the kind of filtering you use. Postfix
19 > has some additional processes that help in reducing the load by filtering
20 > connections prior to actually receiving emails. (postscreen)
21 >
22 > I don't know enough to say how Exim handles that.
23
24 Well, the load shouldn't be too heavy. After all, it's meant only to
25 be a (closed) mail relay server.
26
27 Anyways, it's a direct instruction from the BoD, and you know they
28 always want the server to be deployed yesterday... :-P
29
30 Rgds,
31 --
32 Pandu E Poluan