From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DNS server packages
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 21:07:26
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > These are the (2) net facing primary and slave dns servers, just for the
5 > > few domain names I willauthenticate. They'll be behind a firewall
6 > > (iptables/dmz) with no internal zone information. Strictly auth, public
7 > > facing, with DNSsec.
8 > Then you need your chosen name server (bind), your chosen fw ruleset
9 > generators (iptables, maybe some other front end) and maybe fail2ban or
10 > one of it's friends if you find some port gets hammered.
11
12 fail2ban. an excellent additional package.
13
14 > How much ram do you think you need?
15
16 The idea is to minimize the ram footprint. -Os in the make.conf file
17 should keep things small, with little performance degradation. Profile::
18 [1] default/linux/amd64/13.0 *
19
20 Do you think I can keep the HD size (ide-CompactFlash) below 4 gig?
21 I did years ago on a gentoo firewall circa 2009. Tricks for OS size
22 minimization are the focus now.
23
24 > > Bind9, dnssec-tools, iptables:: any other packages relevant/germane
25 > > on a amd-default profile [1] ?
26
27 > Yes, that's about it.
28 > Add in all the other usual server stuff you like to use - monitoring,
29 > logging, notifications, mail, whatever
30
31 mailx, another good idea.
32
33 OK, now a minimized set of flag setting for make.conf::
34 USE="-8 ncurses ssl crypt berkdb pam perl pcre python readline zlib bzip2
35 nptl syslog"
38 were the flags on that minimzed gentoo (firewall) systems; further reducing
39 the globals flag is warranted?
40 Any suggestions on flag minimization?
41
42 with:: CFLAGS=" -march=native -Os -pipe"
43
44 I hope I can get the total size @ or below 3 GB, as I have several 4 GB CF
45 cards on hand; other suggestions?
48 James