From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Slightly OT but interesting nonetheless...
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 16:33:21
1 On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Am Mittwoch 28 September 2011, 17:15:34 schrieb Grant Edwards:
6 >> Regardless, my point was that Linus's statement that it's unacceptable
7 >> to break things seemed rather disingenuous given the API churn that
8 >> Linux has compared with the BSD kernels.
9 >
10 > Linux has zero userland visible API 'churn'.
11 >
12 > You can't have less than zero.
13
14 Uh, that can't be right. Largely, libc masks things.
15
16 Several kernel options explicitly state in their description that they
17 require new-enough versions of this or that userland tool to function
18 properly. Randomizing module base addresses is one of those, IIRC.
19 Some things related to sysfs. sysfs itself. I think some network
20 filesystems. modutils.
21
22 If there's no API churn, it should be pretty trivial to run a current
23 userland on top of, e.g. 2.6.0-pre1, or even 2.6.0. I also STR 2.6.9
24 being a common pin point where a bunch of userland tools required
25 that-or-newer.
26
27 And that's ignoring dropping things like A.OUT support.
28
29 I'm not arguing whether or not it's reasonable (it almost certainly
30 is), but there certainly is churn.
33 :wq