From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] dev-java/asm versions nightmare
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:39:17
1 Hi folks,
4 while trying to set up hibernate (the java persistency tk), I ran
5 into lots of trouble with the asm package. Deep within the dependency
6 tree, there are several totally incompatible versions of asm pulled
7 in. While build runs cleany, everything crashes on runtime.
8
9 Further investigation showed that totally incompatible branches
10 (at least 2.0 totally breaks the interface introduced by 1.5 !)
11 are living in the same namespace. Several packages depend on
12 different branches (via different slots), so it's obvious that
13 this ends in fire.
14
15 Seems the certain people at INRIA+FR are just a bunch of mindless
16 jerks who'll be the first against the wall when the great
17 revolution comes ;-P
18
19 This is yet a nother good (bad) example that slot'ing has the
20 strong tendency to make things even worse than they already are
21 (if not used with *extreme* caution).
22
23 I'm currently in the process of resolving this issue by completely
24 forking off the these branches into their own packages, with their
25 own namespace, and porting client to the forked packages. As long
26 as the specific asm interfaces aren't used within client's exports,
27 this should be quite easy.
28
29 Please drop a note if you want to be kept up to date on the issue.
32 cu
33 --
35 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
37 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
38 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
39 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
40 http://patches.metux.de/
42 --
43 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list