From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way to clean up the world file?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 03:18:39
1 Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > What is the best way to clean up the world file?
3 >
4 > I have inherited a system where someone did individual emerges to
5 > update packages when there was a single package that had a problem.
6 > So, now all the packages that emerge wanted to update have been added
7 > to the world file.
8 >
9 > I'd like to clean up world file so that it's back to just the original
10 > packages and allow emerge to manage the dependencies.  More
11 > specifically, I'd like the standard emerge --depclean to remove
12 > no-longer-needed dependencies after removing the things that depended
13 > on them.
14 >
15 > I can derive a list of the extra dependencies from the
16 > /var/log/emerge.log file by looking for clusters of individual
17 > installs really close to each other.
22 I would start by removing anything that has libs in it.  Generally,
23 those should be pulled in as deps.  After that, I'd go through the list
24 and remove anything that you don't directly use.  Example, leave Firefox
25 since it is a web browser you use directly, Libreoffice is another
26 example. Other examples may be Smplayer, VLC, digiKam and other similar
27 programs.  There used to be a script that does this fairly well but not
28 sure if it still works or even exists.  As you remove items, run emerge
29 -a --depclean to see what would be removed.  Look for anything you want
30 to keep and add those as needed.  It can take time to complete this sort
31 of task if your world file is a real mess.
32
33 Ah, it just hit me.
36 root@fireball / # regenworld -h
37 This script regenerates the portage world file by checking the portage
38 logfile for all actions that you've done in the past. It ignores any
39 arguments except --help. It is recommended that you make a backup of
40 your existing world file (/var/lib/portage/world) before using this tool.
41 root@fireball / #
45 I might add, I put the option -1 in my make.conf for emerge defaults so
46 that anytime I emerge something, it doesn't get added to the world
47 file.  If I want to add something to the world file, I use --select y to
48 override the -1 in make.conf.  It's so easy to forget to add -1 and make
49 a mess of the world file, I decided to set it so I don't have to
50 remember.  You may want to consider this.
51
52 Dale
53