From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Having trouble installing grub on second disk
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:09:37
1 On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:12:40 -0700 (PDT), michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > I have Gentoo (2005.0) installed on my master primary device, and I
4 > am trying to create a minimal Linux system on a new disk, my slave
5 > primary device.
6 >
7 > So, I partition and make a 32M ext2 file system, make the appropriate
8 > directories and devices, install busybox and other odds and ends. Then I
9 > copy over the kernel from my Gentoo system (same hardware, so the same
10 > kernel).
11 >
12 > Finally I install grub on the slave primary device, and set up my
13 > grub.conf like so:
14 >
15 > default 0
16 > timeout 10
17 >
18 > title=minimal linux on slave primary device
19 > root (hd1,0)
20 > kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1
21 >
22 > root (hd1,0) should be the first partition on my slave primary device
23
24 You don't need to install GRUB on the slave drive, just add this to your
25 existing grub.conf. GRUB is able to boot from a different drive.
26
27 > I test by rebooting and entering my bios settings, and then i set the
28 > boot device to hd1 instead of hd0. Save and exit, and grub tells me
29 > "Error 15: File not found".
30
31 That's because your slave drive is now hd0, the boot drive is
32 considered the first drive. Either fix your config or, and better IMO,
33 keep everything in one grub.conf on the master drive.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 Forget the Joneses...I can't keep up with The Simpsons.