From: Bill Roberts <billbalt@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SOLVED: DHCP Timeouts
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:26:15
1 On 19:29 Sat 28 Jan , fire-eyes wrote:
2 > fire-eyes wrote:
3 > > I am having problems with dhcp on my wireless interface. Which is
4 > > confusing, it worked fine before. It just times out. If I assign
5 > > everything manually, there are no issues.
6 > >
7 > > Some ask if it's because association with the AP is taking too long, but
8 > > I know it is not that, because I am manually starting wpa_supplicant
9 > > (which fails in gentoo init scripts for some reason, looks like it's
10 > > being called wrong). And that takes care of the association.
11 > >
12 > > So confused...
13 >
14 > Looks like I got it... Further investigation showed that dhcpcd was
15 > requesting 192.168.1.103 , when it had 1.100 before. I force it to
16 > request .100 and it immediately worked...
17 >
18 > Anyone know what that was all about?
19
20 If you are using dnsmasq, note from the man page:
21
22 -K, --dhcp-authoritative
23 Should be set when dnsmasq is definatively the only DHCP server
24 on a network. It changes the be- haviour from strict RFC compliance so that
25 DHCP requests on unknown leases from unknown hosts are not ignored. This
26 allows new hosts to get a lease without a tedious timeout under all circum-
27 stances.
28
29 Good luck.
30