From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2016 15:50:51
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Friday, September 02, 2016 05:42:13 PM Dale wrote:
3 >> Mick wrote:
4 >>> On Thursday 01 Sep 2016 22:57:12 Kai Krakow wrote:
5 >>>> Regarding performance:
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I wish Linux had options to relocate files (not just defragment) back
8 >>>> into logical groups for nearby access. Fragmentation is less of a
9 >>>> problem, the bigger problem is data block dislocation over time due to
10 >>>> updates. In Windows, there's the wonderful tool MyDefrag which does
11 >>>> magic and puts your aging Windows installation back into a state of an
12 >>>> almost fresh installation by relocating files to sane positions.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Is there anything similar for Linux?
15 >>> Dale will pop in soon to mention the defrag application he was running on
16 >>> reiserfs, but a potentially more effective defrag method irrespective of
17 >>> fs
18 >>> (we're talking about spinning disks where this issue applies) is tar
19 >>> off/tar on your data.
20 >> Now someone is asking for me to post something. ROFL
21 >>
22 >> Script should be attached. Be forewarned, I have not used this script
23 >> in ages. I have no clue if it works or not or if it will totally screw
24 >> up anything and everything. I would recommend trying it on something
25 >> that doesn't matter or maybe a directory full of copied files to be
26 >> sure. If it hoses your system, it's not my script and you been warned.
27 >> I'm not even sure where I got it from. Might be the forums but could be
28 >> anywhere.
29 >>
30 >> By the way, I switched to ext4 and it has a defrag command of its own.
31 >> Just man e4defrag for details, assuming you have the ext utilities
32 >> package installed. That would be sys-fs/e2fsprogs by the way. I
33 >> *think* it works on ext3 as well but not sure. Everything here is ext4
34 >> except /boot which is ext2.
35 >>
36 >> I guess this is the benefit of large hard drives. I don't have to
37 >> delete stuff even if I don't use it for a long time. lol
38 >>
39 >> Y'all have fun.
40 > How does that script work?
41 > >From a quick look, it depends on some application called "filefrag".
42 > I can't seem to find that on my system.
43 >
44 > --
45 > Joost
50 As I said, it's not my script. I just got it from somewhere. I have no
51 idea if it works much less how it works. Based on the time stamp, it's
52 at least 10 years old and no telling how old it was before I got it.
53
54 Dale
55