From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to easily find out what USE flags are redundant in make.conf and package.use?
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 10:15:02
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 10/02/2011 12:14 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 10/02/2011 11:44 AM, Dale wrote:
5 >>>>> Look into app-portage/ufed.
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Hey, cooool. That is some cool stuff. Maybe I can use this to clean
8 >>>> this
9 >>>> up:
10 >>>>
11 >>>> USE="3dnow 3dnowext X a52 aac acpi alsa amd64 aml apng automount avahi
12 >>>> [snip monstrosity]
13 >>>
14 >>> It seems you confused make.conf with package.use :-P
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >>
19 >> I rarely use package.use. There is a couple lines in there but not many.
20 >> I usually enable a USE flag globally in make.conf and be done with it.
21 >
22 > Which results in the above chaos ;-P The obvious problem is that
23 > sometimes you enable a USE flag for some package, but that USE flag
24 > has an effect on other packages too if you put it in make.conf, even
25 > though you might not want that. One reason you might not want that
26 > are bloated dependencies. For example, you install package "foo" and
27 > you want the "bar" USE flag for it. If you put it in make.conf, other
28 > packages might also use that flag and pull-in its deps. Now if you
29 > unmerge "foo", an emerge --depclean will not uninstall those deps. As
30 > time goes on, this results in a system full of deps you never really
31 > wanted and can't get rid of.
37 In that case, I then use package.use. Like this in package.use:
38
39 x11-base/xorg-server -hal
40 net-misc/ntp caps -ipv6
41 media-gfx/gtkam debug
42 sys-power/nut -usb
45 I use package.use for those exceptions where I don't want something.
46 Otherwise, I put it in make.conf so that I only have one file to deal
47 with for the most part.
48
49 I am OCD about some things, like brakes on my car, but I'm not that OCD
50 about this one. I do wish emerge would give notice when a USE flag is
51 invalid tho. It's nice that it just ignores it and goes on but a little
52 message that one has fell off the list would be nice.
53
54 To each his own I guess. This is how I been managing my USE flags since
55 about 2003 and it works rather well. At least for me. ;-)
56
57 Dale
58