From: Sid Spry <sid@××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernel on Gentoo
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 14:35:21
1 On Sun, Jun 21, 2020, at 5:31 AM, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2 > > -----Original Message-----
3 > > From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
4 > > Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 21:36
5 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernel on Gentoo
7 > >
8 > > On 6/17/20 12:52 PM, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
9 > > > Hello,
10 > > >
11 > > > I might need to build and run an old 3.x kernel on a Desktop PC for
12 > > > some very specific tests. Would Gentoo be a good solution?
13 > > >
14 > > > I see that currently gentoo-sources only includes 4.x and 5.x sources.
15 > > >
16 > > > Thanks,
17 > > >
18 > > > raffaele
19 > > >
20 > >
21 > > I use a 3.18.40 kernel, currently, on one of my AMD systems. It has
22 > > thousands of source build packages, not only from portage but many others.
25 > What about the rest of the system, in particular GCC and the C
26 > libraries? Do you manage to build the 3.x kernel with up to date system
27 > or do you need to ''freeze'' some packages?
30 If you don't care about age of the userland most tools are actually very backwards
31 compatible and should work on a 3.x kernel. You will need to try it, but I expect
32 the modern @system set of packages would work just fine.
33
34 If you do need an old userland what I might try to do is grab an old Debian/Ubuntu
35 CD. You could then use Portage Prefix to build the older tools you need with a
36 more contemporary userland. Again, the bigger issue will be old releases falling out
37 of tree.