From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: XV locks up X server after recent update
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:48:44
1 On 2007-02-21, Hamie <hamish@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> The ati-drivers package was updated from 8.27.10-r1 to 8.32.5.
4 >> Rolling it back to 8.27.10-r1 made xv work again. The lock up
5 >> occurred with xorg-xserver versions 1.1.1-r1, 1.1.1-r4,
6 >> 1.2.0-r1. ati-drivers 8.33.6-r1 also locked up.
7
8 On my list of things to do is check to see if 8.28.8 with the
9 2.6.19 patch works...
10
11 > Hmm... My ati-drivers actually crashes the XServer completely.
12 > And (Usually) restarts (Sometimes kdm just gives up as well).
13 >
14 > I did attempt to raise a support request about it... And got
15 > an email back from ATI/AMD saying I shuld be thankful for what
16 > they've given me & not to bother them about it...
17
18 I was bying ATI cards because the open-source driver supported
19 DRI (it was a bit flakey, but it mostly "just worked"). But,
20 that ended with the 92xx series. My experience (and the
21 general consensus, AFAICT) is that the NVidia closed-source
22 drivers are far less problematic than the ATI ones.
23
24 I've got a 3 year old ATI card that ATI doesn't support at all
25 anymore with Linux drivers. I've got a 6 year old NVidia card
26 that still works perfectly and all I had to do is "emerge
27 nvidia-drivers"
28
29 So I think NVidia is the way to go in general.
30
31 [The problem is that you don't get much of a choice with
32 laptops. My IBM ThinkPad was too good a deal to pass up even
33 though it came with an ATI M300.]
36 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I always wanted a
37 at NOSE JOB!!
38 visi.com
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list