From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't access disks after install
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 13:40:20
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 12:21 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> > You're right, that's ONE of the points of using an initramfs.
4 >> Another
5 >> > point would be, that you're able to put / on LVM/Software-RAID.
6 >>
7 >> You don't need an initramfs to use Software RAID for /, as long as the
8 >> necessary modules are built into the kernel. You do need one for LVM.
9 >
10 > Why is that? Is it the user-space tools (vgscan, vgchange, etc) needed
11 > to find the volumes at start time?
12
13 Yes, exactly. As you just wrote, with LVM, you need to activate the
14 VGs, find the PVs and so on. For this, user-space tools are required.
15
16 Not so for Software RAID. According to Neil, the kernel can do all
17 that's required without the help of user-space tools. Neil might
18 be right in saying so - I'd suppose that he is right.
19
20 Alexander Skwar
21 --
22 Zoe: "Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain being missing."
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list